EUROPE

Maidan Nezalezhnosti

Maidan Nezalezhnosti

Maidan Nezalezhnosti

The Independence Square (in Ukrainian: Майдан Незалежності, Maidan Nezalezhnosti) is the central square of Kiev, capital of Ukraine. Crossed by the Krechtchatyk street is one of the main squares of the city. This site has had several names, but it is often called simply the Maidan ( "Square"). During the Orange Revolution in 2004 and the events of winter 2013-2014, it is the gathering place for demonstrators.

  Origin of the name:

Maidan comes from Persian: Mydan, meaning "place" while Nézalejnist means "Independence". The square was named Maidan Nezalezhnosti in 1991, after the fall of the Soviet Union and the accession of Ukraine to independence.

  History:


Until the tenth century, the square and the rest of
Maidan Nezalezhnosti
Khreshchatyk are called Perevisychtch. Where the street begins Sofia, which leads to the upper town, stood one of the three main gates of the medieval Kiev (city Jaroslav) Lyadski the door (the other two being the Golden Gate of Kiev and the door Jydivski ). This gate is also mentioned in 1151, and around it the Polish population lives in the city. Lyadski the door will be destroyed during the assault of the city by the Batu Mongolian horde in 1240.
Until the late eighteenth century - beginning of the nineteenth century, the square box is empty and is named Kozyne Boloto (Le Marais of Goats in Ukrainian: Козине болото).
In the 1830s, the first wooden houses appear, and in 1850, the stone buildings are built. The famous Ukrainian writer Taras Shevchenko lives in the area in 1859, in a building located between Mala Jytomyrska (Small Zhytomyr) and Mykhailivska voulytsia (rue St-Michel).
The development of the area is accelerating in the mid-nineteenth century, when it became the commercial center of Kiev, which, thanks to the Russian Industrial Revolution grows and becomes the third city of the Russian Empire. Until 1871 the square is the name of Khrechtchatykskaïa Ploshchad (Square Khreshchatyk) and there is a market. In 1876, the State Duma of the city of Kiev was built there, which now bears the name of Doumskaïa Ploshchad (Parliament Square). In 1894, a tram line in Kiev (the first electric tram of the Empire) dessert instead.
In 1913, before the State Duma, a monument to Peter Stolypin (assassinated in Kiev in September 1911) is erected, and will remain in place until March 1917 and the events of the February revolution.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti

About Historical Monument

0 التعليقات:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.