Palacio de Bellas Artes
The Palace of Fine Arts of Mexico (Spanish: Palacio de Bellas Artes) is the first opera of Mexico. It was designed by Italian architect Adamo Boari in 1901 to replace the old Gran Teatro Nacional (es) destroyed on that date, but its construction was not completed until 1934. It includes an art deco style interior and a spectacular majestic outdoor art nouveau. The building's weight is so important that it is sinking slowly on its foundations.
The site was chosen by President Porfirio Diaz in the historic center of Mexico City, near an elegant park, Alameda Central. The first skyscrapers in the city were built nearby in 1920-30.
The building is famous for its extravagant outdoor art nouveau white marble imported from Italy, and his paintings of Diego Rivera, Rufino Tamayo, David Alfaro Siqueiros and José Clemente Orozco.The mural entitled Man in Crossing Rivera was originally painted for the Rockefeller Center in New York. Rivera was at 2/3 of its fresco when the Rockefellers protested against an image of Lenin in his painting. Rivera proposed adding the portrait of George Washington in his fresco, but this compromise was swept out of hand and the mural was destroyed. Rivera has painted on a smaller scale in the palace in 1934 and renamed the Man, Controller of the Universe.
The theater is used for opera, classical music and dance (including Ballet Folklorico de Mexico). Another feature of this building are its stained glass depicting a volcano or the Valley of Mexico.
Maria Callas gave many interpretations there early in his career, and recorded there many performances. The theater was also the venue of exhibitions of artists such as Frida Kahlo in 1954 and María Félix in 2002. Finally, the first session of the film Frida took place here.The palace also houses two museums: the Museum of Fine Arts and the architecture of the city museum.
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, during the 30 year rule of Porfirio Díaz on Mexico, there was a pronounced tendency to imitate European art, their styles and manners. According to this mode, the project of a national theater took shape and construction of the building began on 1 October 1904. The plans were made by Adamo Boari and modeled on European models.
While construction was to end in 1908, many problems delayed the deadline: the site itself, where the ground is weak, then the Mexican Revolution from 1910.
Boari left Mexico in 1916 and construction was virtually interrupted until 1932, when Federico Mariscal (es) took over. He finished the building in 1934. Finally, the square with gardens and statues of Pegasus, decided by Boari himself, was not completed until 1994.