The Arch of Triomphe
The Arch of Triomphe often simply called the Arc de Triomphe, the construction, decided by the Emperor Napoleon I, began in 1806 and ended in 1836 under Louis Philippe, is located in Paris the 8th district. It stands in the center of the Place Charles de Gaulle (formerly Place de l'Étoile) in the center and west end of the Champs Elysees, 2.2 kilometers from the place Concorde. Top 49.54 m, 44.82 m wide and 22.21 m deep, it is managed by the National Monuments Centre. The height of the great arch is 29.19 m and a width of 14.62 m. The small vault measuring 18.68 m high and 8.44 m wide. The monument weighs 50,000 t, 100,000 t taking into account the foundations are sinking to 8.37 m depth. The total cost of construction is 9,651,116 F.
Place de l'Etoile form a huge roundabout twelve avenues breakthroughs in the nineteenth century under the leadership of Baron Haussmann, then prefect of the Seine department. These avenues "radiate" star around the place, including the Avenue Kleber, Avenue de la Grande Armee, Avenue de Wagram and the best known, the Champs Elysees. Paving stones of different colors draw on the floor instead of two stars whose peaks reach for one in the middle of avenues for the other between the avenues.
Napoleon, after the battle of Austerlitz says to the French soldiers, "You will return to your home only under arches of Triumph" and an imperial decree dated February 18, 1806 ordered the construction of this arc of triumph dedicated to the remembrance of the victories of the French armies. Its initial project is to erect the monument "at the entrance boulevards, near where was the Bastille, so that on entering the Faubourg St. Antoine we pass under the arch of triumph." He thus wants to make it the starting point of a triumphal avenue crossing including the Louvre and Place de la Bastille. The Interior Minister Champagny notify the Emperor that the choice of the Bastille would be expensive and convinces him to erect the arch to the west of Paris on the Place de l'Etoile which allowed the release of good prospects.
Count Jean Bérenger, State Councillor, oversees the funding as general manager of the Sinking Fund. The imperial decree of February 26, 1806, which orders the erection of a triumphal arch, provides that will be taken a million for this item on the contributions from the Grand Army. The sinking fund held each month from March 1, a sum of fifty thousand francs available to the future architect and that of fifteen thousand francs for art work and sculpture. "