The Cathedral of St. Savior on the Spilled Blood is one of the main Russian Orthodox church in St. Petersburg, Russia. It is also called Cathedral of the Spilled Blood Spilled or Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ, which is its official name. This name refers to the blood shed during the assassination of Alexander II was mortally wounded at that location on March 13 (March 1) 1881. This is not a diocesan cathedral (seat of the eparchy) but a collegiate church, which resulted in incomplete form in French cathedral.
Construction began in 1883 under the reign of Alexander III as a memorial in honor of his father Alexander II. The work progressed slowly and was finally completed in 1907 under the reign of Nicolas II. This is the imperial family, aided by many patrons who financed the construction.
The cathedral, located along the Griboyedov canal, can not escape the eye of the visitor. At this level, there is an embankment on both banks of the canal. When the convoy of Emperor passed along the embankment, a grenade thrown by an activist of Narodnaya Volya exploded. The emperor, however, shaken but unharmed, out of the car to rescue the injured. Another conspirator took the chance and exploded another bomb, killing himself and mortally wounding the Emperor. Alexander II, who was bleeding profusely, was transported to the Winter Palace, where he passed away an hour later.
From an architectural standpoint, the cathedral is different from other structures of St. Petersburg. The architecture of the city is dominated by the baroque and neoclassical styles but St. Savior on the Spilled Blood refers rather to medieval Russian architecture. Indeed, it was built in the era of romantic nationalism. It looks purposely to the churches of Yaroslavl of the seventeenth century and the famous St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The church contains over 7500 m² of mosaics, more than all the other churches in the world, according to restorers. This record could be surpassed by the St. Louis Cathedral Basilica, which houses 7700 m² of mosaics.