The Phra Pathom Chedi is with 127 m the highest Buddhist Chedi in the world. The Chedi is located in the city of Nakhon Pathom in Thailand.
The name Phra Pathom Chedi means Saint Chedi of the beginning. The first written records of this Chedi date back to 675, but archaeological excavations indicate that a first Chedi was already built in the 4th century.
After the conquest of the country by the Khmer, the Chedi was built with a prang, which was later covered by the jungle. The ruins were rediscovered in the 19th century, when the later King Mongkut (Rama IV) wandered through the Nakhon Pathoms forests during his time as a wandering monk. After his coronation, he ordered a new and especially important Buddhist site to be built here. After 17 years of construction the building was completed in 1870 under his successor King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). Later, Chulalongkorn had the building built with fine Chinese bricks. The population from nearby Nakhon Chai Si was moved to the newly built city around the Chedi.
The Thai Ministry of Culture has proposed Phra Pathom Chedi as a future world cultural heritage of UNESCO.
Phra Ruang Rojanaridhi - King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) found in Si Satchanalai in 1909, when he was still Crown Prince, fragments of a great Buddha statue, of which only the head, hands and feet were intact. Prince Naris was commissioned to restore the statue. It was poured in 1913 at Wat Pho in Bangkok. On November 2, 1915, the statue was inaugurated in the northern chapel (Wihan Thit). King Vajiravudh gave her the name Phra Ruang Rojanaridhi Sri Indarathita Dharmobas Maha Vajiravudha Rajapujaniya Borpitra. Later the mortal remains of the king were buried in the base of the statue. Today, Phra Ruang Rojanaridhi stands in abduction of Abhaya Mudra (protection promise) widely visible at the top of the great northern freeway.